Sunday, April 14, 2013

IF-wild

The word wild is only one thing for me. things.




I was fortunate enough to have the chance to meet with Mr. Sendak while I was still in college. He came to Kent for a lecture and chose a class to come and have a longer session with. I just happened to be lucky enough to be in that class. Even better? It was a beginning theater class and I was the only art student. It was like I had him all to myself. One of those perfect happenstances.

He gave me the advice that changed my whole college and career direction...."If you hate graphic design, get out...get out now...nobody cares what your degree is in....if you want to draw, then draw...people will buy you, not your degree." and "NEVER draw the climax of a book, everybody has a different idea of what that will look like....NEVER draw it...draw before, draw after...but, never the climax."

I cried like I lost a dear friend when he died.





























3 comments:

  1. Hee hee... Wild Things are always awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool to have met him! And what a great tribute you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! Where the Wild Things Are was the first thing I thought of too. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete