Monday, January 30, 2012

IF-forward


This is a case of really liked the sketch, but when I tried to take it to color, it lost something in translation. So, I cut my losses, and I posted the sketch. I think it might just be a little too busy for color.

But, hey, I posted two weeks in a row.....here's hoping for three and a header piece to make the blog a little less plain. Off to finish up a couple of pieces for clients. Hope you enjoy!


UPDATE

So, I couldn't leave it alone....and I'm glad I fought through it. Here is the color version. With some minor tweaks to the sketch, I was able to finally color it and be happy with the final.

Bon Appetit!


9 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful sketch! So effective in varying the line weight and thickness, plus adorable characters. I think you should post the color version because now I am so curious to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a handsome sketch, to be sure.
    (and a handsome hat.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both the sketch and the color finish! Great little characters and a fun concept for the prompt. Glad you didn't give up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the colored one is outstanding. Is it a pencil sketch and then digital coloring (or markers?)? The textures and details are great. And the parrot and the fur quality are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cindy. It's the same sketch with digital color and collage...lots and lots and lots of layers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out gorgeous. Glad you decided to move "forward" with this one, although I truly love the sketch too. Great illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everybody for all of the kind words! It's so nice to get feedback....not always easy to gauge your our drawings when you are working at home...I'm so glad to have found a community to post to...I think I'm officially addicted to Illustration Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out great! The collage style works really well. And the koala skull flag is an excellent touch! I love finding little details like that in illustrations.

    ReplyDelete